NURTURE: RESEARCH TRAINING AND MENTORING PROGRAM FOR CAREER
DEVELOPMENT OF FACULTY AT MakCHS
FELLOWSHIP ADVERTISEMENT FOR 7 ONE-YEAR FELLOWSHIPS UNDER NURTURE SUPPLEMENT FOR ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE AND ASSOCIATED DEMENTIAS
Applications are invited for a new programme for low and mid-level faculty (from Assistant Lecturer to Senior Lecturer level) who are interested and committed to becoming independent researchers in Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias (AD/ARD) at MakCHS. They should be willing to undertake rigorous research training (from research question identification and hypothesis generation through research implementation to knowledge translation).
Successful applicants will develop their potential to become researchers within a structured and mentored training research programme with a focus on research training in Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias (AD/ARD). Research on HIV/AIDS related dementia will not be supported.
The training is for a period of up to 1 year but is not intended to lead to a degree award.
MakCHS’ low and mid-level faculty from Assistant Lecturer to Senior Lecturer level including other faculty who contribute to teaching and research at the Makerere University College of Health Sciences. They must have a demonstrated commitment to pursuing a research career at MakCHS.
Criteria for Selection
1. 5 page concept proposal summarizing the work the applicant plans to do over 1-year fellowship.
2. Show demonstrated interest in pursuing AD/ADRD research as a significant part of one’s career.
3. Having been engaged in productive research/ evidence of research productivity.
4. Agree to being trained/mentored in how to run a multidisciplinary, gender sensitive research
5. Willingness to mentor at least one masters or undergraduate trainee in carrying out AD/ADRD research.
6. Potential to handle rigorous academic requirements of the program.
7. Commitment to secure 1 grant award, 2 publications, and promotion of use of research findings.
8. Plan for career development.
9. Capacity for attaining research leadership and international recognition in one’s field.
10. Be able to commit at least 50% of one’s time to program activities.
Applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and should consist of a cover letter (not more than 1 page), curriculum vitae (not more than 3 pages) a personal statement (1 page), research concept (1 page) and two letters of recommendation. The personal statement should include your contribution to the academic and research life of a MakCHS department, your aspirations for career progression in the next 5-7 years, research interests and any information you consider relevant. Closing date for the receipt of applications is November 16, 2018 at 5:00pm EAT. Enquiries can be forwarded to the PI, NURTURE Program at email@example.com
Application deadline: November 16, 2018 at 5:00pm EAT
Interviews December 10-14, 2018
Notification date: December 21, 2018
Proposed start date: January 01, 2019