The East African Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) is an annual course offered at Makerere University and Kilimanjaro Christian Medical College (KCMC). The course is offered under a collaboration between Makerere University Kampala (Mak), London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) UK, University of Washington (UW) USA, Johns Hopkins University (JHU) USA, and Kilimanjaro Christian Medical College (KCMC) Moshi, Tanzania.
The course brings together international (US and UK) and African (Ugandan and Tanzanian) medical doctors into one classroom to study tropical diseases. This course runs for 3 months annually, and is aimed at developing enthusiasm, knowledge and skills for further training and clinical practice in Tropical diseases, particularly in infectious diseases. The first half of the course is conducted at KCMC Moshi, Tanzania, and the second half at Makerere University Kampala, Uganda with a brief rotation through the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) in between.
At course completion, participants are awarded the ├ö├ç├┐East African Diploma in Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
The 2011 course runs from 19th September to 17th December 2011, as scheduled below:
19th September to 31st October 2011
KCMC, Moshi, Tanzania
2nd to 5th November 2011
7th November to 17th December 2011
Makerere University, Kampala
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Ugandans to compete for the 8 scholarships available in the 2011 course. Scholarship applicants must be:-
1) Ugandans and Qualified Medical doctors
2) Experienced in clinical Medicine for at least two years
3) Registered to practice medicine in Uganda
4) Fluent in English writing and comprehension
Demonstrable commitment to a career in infectious diseases and experience in teaching are added advantages.
The scholarship covers:
┬┤├óÔòØ Study materials
┬┤├óÔòØ Accommodation + breakfast while in Moshi/KEMRI
┬┤├óÔòØ Certification fee and
┬┤├óÔòØ Transport from Moshi/KEMRI back to Uganda.
Students must meet their own:
1) Transport to Moshi (Moshi is accessible by road-bus or by Air from Uganda).
2) Lunch, Dinner and any other costs while in Moshi (approx. 400 - 500 USD)
3) Accommodation and all meals while in Uganda for the second half of the course.
Interested candidates must submit the following documents in the exact order as below:
1. A written application letter
2. Curriculum vitae. Indicate names, emails and telephone numbers of two referees
3. Academic papers: Degree certificate(s) and transcript(s)
4. Brief description of (i) reasons for taking the course and (ii) five year career intentions
5. Letter of support from current employer confirming permission to be full time away for the 3 months period.
6. A signed statement confirming that the applicant will have adequate personal funds for the living expenses specified above.
Submit the application document to:
The administrator, East African Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
2nd Floor Room C-31 Department of Medical Microbiology
Makerere University College of Health Sciences Opposite Mulago Hospital and complex
Tel: +256-414-541 830 (office); Cell phone: +256-704 911 224; Fax: +256-414-533 033
Scanned application documents maybe submitted to: email@example.com
Closing date: Monday 11th July 2011.
Successful applicants will be contacted by 31st July 2011.